Sunday, September 18, 2011

It Takes Time

So it's been a week since 9/11 and I began to think about those who lost someone in 9/11 and still hadn't found them a week later.  The unknown of where your friends or family are a week after a plane crashed into a building with so much damage, people killed or hurt, and people still missing...honestly, I can't imagine what that felt like. 

We are all so fragile and losing so much in an instant is still something we are unwilling to grasp.

I started thinking about the power of people in groups.  So many people gathered together at the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 and mourned together.  They were combined by a common tragedy.  Unfortunate, but something that you couldn't explain in words unless you had gone through it.  The word anniversary is usually associated with a celebration, like a birthday or a marriage.  I don't know that a negative image is what comes to mind at first thought. 

As I kept jogging, I began to keep pushing myself not to walk.  As my thoughts were along the lines of how the inner strength of people can be amazing, I told myself that I needed to push myself to the next level.  I want to jog a 10K, but I'm not ready.  All I'm doing is negating what I haven't done.  I push myself when I don't want to run anyore and get past that "I can't do it" moment.  Why can't I do that more often?  

I start to think about work.  I think about work way too much when I'm jogging, but I start to think about the stories patients have shared with me.  Some have lived far worse lives than I and have still managed to stay optimistic.  It really comes down to allowing time to heal wounds and grow from the mistakes made.  It takes time to move past things sometimes, but in doing so shows how life changes and you need to change with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment